PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The purpose of this position is to provide community outreach and field support to Metro Denver CAT, which is a comprehensive feline-based program in the Denver Metro area. Our small, energetic team is focused on providing efficient, compassionate and impactful results to benefit our diverse clientele and the animal welfare landscape in the Denver area. Duties include carrying out door-to-door community outreach in English and Spanish, fieldwork and customer service to support our outreach, spay/neuter and TNR (trap-neuter-return) efforts in targeted neighborhoods. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as the project and priorities of MDCAT evolve.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for an energetic, community-minded, positive, flexible individual who will thrive in a fast-paced environment where each day is a different adventure. You’ll have the opportunity to take initiative and responsibility for various aspects of day-to-day operations of community focused animal welfare nonprofit organization. Previous animal welfare experience and/or familiarity with trap-neuter-return and feral cats not required, but must have a desire to learn and help animals in the community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Carry out fieldwork, including door-to-door canvassing, trapping cats and working with caregivers of free-roaming and pet cats.
● Schedule and ensure appointment compliance for spay/neuter surgeries for owned and unowned cats in focus neighborhoods.
● Trap cats in focus areas and transport to and from veterinary clinics and partner shelters as necessary.
● Communicate to the Project Manager to report progress. Attend other meetings as desired to develop and strengthen relationships with key neighborhoods, partner agencies and social service organizations in order to achieve the project goals.
● Answer and respond to hotline calls, e-mails and in-person customers in English and Spanish and ensure requests are handled appropriately and in a timely manner.
● Maintain records and complete data entry to ensure project and client information are accurate and up to date.
● Manage TNR supplies and trap inventory.
● Safely handle, clean and transport social and unsocial cats according to MDCAT protocols.
● Clean and maintain office space and vehicle.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
● Communicate effectively and respectfully to all customers, volunteers, and the public.
● Provide prompt, respectful, and knowledgeable service to customers, volunteers, other staff and the public; treat all interactions with empathy and patience.
● Handle all communication (written, electronic, phone and in-person) in an appropriate and timely manner.
● Must work under pressure with public audience and have patience, diplomacy, and tact when working with emotional people and situations.
● Must have strong interpersonal skills and cultural competency to interact with diverse populations.
● Communication skills: speaks fluent English and Spanish.
● Organizational ability: Demonstrates a systematic approach in carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting through confusion and turning chaos into order.
● Problem Solving Skills: Demonstrates a strong ability to identify, analyze and solve difficult problems.
● Intellectual Ability: Accurately and consistently follows instructions. Can provide direction to others.
● Must be self-motivated, work well alone and with minimal supervision
● Leadership Skills: Ability to successfully be a leader in the community.
● Computer Skills: Comfortably and confidently uses a computer and specialized software including Microsoft Office.
● Driving Ability: Able to operate a motor vehicle to do field work. A valid driver’s license, auto insurance and good driving record are required.
● Animal Handling: Able to safely handle cats, including fractious cats. Must practice proper hygiene and follow disease control protocols.
● Ability to work with animals, at a desk on a computer and out in the community in all weather conditions.
● Will come into contact with animal waste products and unsanitary conditions
● Must be able to stand, kneel, walk, use hands, type, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, and crouch.
● Must be able to lift a minimum of 35 lbs repetitively and up to 50 lbs occasionally.
● Must be comfortable with conversational Spanish and English.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel and PowerPoint and other Windows based software.
● Must be able to work weekends and evenings, as required.
● Must maintain a valid Colorado Driver’s License, automobile insurance and a good driving record.
Salary starting at $18 per hour
Benefits include generous PTO: 40 hrs in first year of employment plus 12 paid holidays (including extended December paid holiday period 12/24-12/31) and a $250/month healthcare stipend.
Interested? Email your cover letter and resume to [email protected]