Are you compassionate about animals and have a desire to speak for those who cannot? For over 100 years, the Dumb Friends League has been working to end pet homelessness and animal suffering by providing a strong and steadfast voice for those who cannot speak for themselves. As the largest community-based animal welfare organization in the region, we care for more than 20,000 homeless pets and horses each year at our four facilities and are a national model in animal welfare. If you work well with people too, join our team and help us provide that voice.
Purpose of Position: Deliver exceptional customer service to all foster parents, provide humane care to all sheltered animals and maintain kennel facilities as appropriate.
- Assist in the organization, administration and coordination of the Homes with Hearts foster program
- Evaluate the overall age, health and behavior of foster animals according to the League’s policies and procedures. Evaluate new arrivals daily to assess adoptability and determine the disposition of animals.
- Coordinate care for animals requiring placement into foster care or behavior or medical rehabilitation.
- Maintain constant humane care, cleaning, feeding, examination, vaccination, socialization, and treatment of all foster, medical evaluation and pet assistance animals.
- Consult with health care staff regarding appropriate medical care of foster animals and appropriately deliver this information to foster parents as needed
- Coordinate inventory, receiving and stocking of foster supplies and foods.
- Perform accurate data entry and update information regarding foster program in Chameleon database with the utmost attention to detail.
- Perform euthanasia on a regular rotating schedule and/or serve as a back-up as needed.
- Respond in a timely and professional manner to phone calls and requests for assistance.
- Provide quality people care to League’s patrons, staff, volunteers, and visitors.
- Actively engage in assessment of department’s SOPs and operations to determine ways to improve and modify as needed.
- Provide appropriate and constructive feedback to management in a timely and proficient manner.
- Act as a resource for volunteers by answering questions, providing training and coaching in the moment, and addressing concerns.
People are the key to fulfilling our mission. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with the general public and League business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support a positive team environment, directly address conflict, and appropriately express concerns.
Competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, and actions. Additional definitions for competencies may be obtained from Human Resources
Organizational Key Competencies
- Integrity and Ethics
- Adapting to Change and Ambiguity
- Customer and Community Focus
- Emotional Intelligence
Position Key Competencies
- Analytical Thinking
- Emotional Intelligence
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- This position requires driving a company vehicle
- This position may require travel to different work sites
Schedule: Four, 10-hour shifts – weekend availability is required
Full Time Benefits – Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of all offered benefits.
- Benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Flexible spending accounts
- League-paid Life and Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Holiday Pay
- And more!
Compensation: $20.00 – $20.90 (starting pay commensurate with market, experience, and equity)
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements
Handle and restrain animals of various sizes, weights, and temperaments. Subject to animal bites or scratches. Work performed in high noise level areas. Exposure to cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal dander, and feces. Physical efforts require constant bending, stooping, standing, climbing stairs, and walking. Frequent lifting of animals and objects with reasonable accommodation.
- Excellent organizational and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in windows computer programs (Word, Excel, etc).
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in animal related field, veterinary technician degree, or equivalent experience.
- At least 1 year animal handling experience, including evaluation and breed identification.
- Valid driver’s license and insurable driving record.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience caring for neonatal kittens and puppies.