Are you compassionate about animals and have a desire to speak for those who cannot? For over 100 years, the Dumb Friends League has been working to end pet homelessness and animal suffering by providing a strong and steadfast voice for those who cannot speak for themselves. If you work well with people too, join our team and help us provide that voice.
Purpose of Position: To provide the highest quality care for the animals we serve ensuring their health, wellbeing and appropriate handling. To provide assistance and adoption counseling to shelter patrons ensuring an exceptional patron experience.
- Deliver high level of customer service to League patrons.
- Greet, interact with, and provide information to League’s patrons.
- Meet with potential adopters to gather and give information to assist in the process of adopting an animal.
- Review and complete adoption paperwork.
- Perform data entry to update animal records.
- Handle and move animals and facilitate the interaction between animals and patrons.
- Provide food, water and care for animals.
- Assist with coordination and kenneling and movement of animals.
- Direct and provide guidance for animal care volunteers.
- Interact with other departments and assist with additional animal care services such as delivery of medication and treatment.
- Monitor food and maintain supplies.
- Perform or assist with maintenance of equipment.
- Thoroughly clean and sanitize animal kennel and other work areas.
- Clean and maintain adoption counsel rooms and areas.
- Contribute to and lead initiatives to improve processes and procedures.
- Adhere to all League safety, training, and handling and transportation protocols in order to ensure that the Shelter environment is safe for animals, the public, volunteers and other employees.
- Wear required identification and use personal protective clothing and safety equipment as defined by League policies and procedures.
- Perform euthanasia and related tasks.
People are the key to fulfilling our mission. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with the general public and League business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support a positive team environment, directly address conflict, and appropriately express concerns.
Competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, and actions. Additional definitions for competencies may be obtained from Human Resources
Organizational Key Competencies
- Integrity and Ethics
- Adapting to Change and Ambiguity
- Customer and Community Focus
- Emotional Intelligence
Position Key Competencies
- Attention to detail
- Analytical thinking
- Time management
- Strong communication skills
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Department Volunteers
- This position may require travel to different work sites
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements
Handle and restrain animals of various sizes, weights, and temperaments. Subject to animal bites or scratches. Work performed in high noise level areas. Prolonged periods of sitting and repetitive motion. Exposure to cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal dander, and feces. Physical efforts require constant bending, stooping, standing, and walking, Frequent lifting of animals and objects up to 50 lbs. with reasonable accommodations and occasional lifting up to 75 lbs. with reasonable accommodation. Will be required to work evenings, weekends and/or holidays as business operations demand.
Shift Details: 5, 8-hour shifts. Both weekend days are required.
Full Time Benefits – Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of all offered benefits.
- Benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Flexible spending accounts
- League-paid Life and Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Holiday Pay
- Compensation: Starting at $20.00 – $20.90 per hour (starting pay commensurate with market, experience, and equity)
- Ability to work independently while following specific procedures and protocols
- Ability to follow timelines for projects, accomplish multiple tasks, and maintain flexibility in a dynamic work environment
- High level of personal responsibility, attention to detail, and punctuality
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to effectively work in a team environment
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to work evening, weekends, and/or holidays
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience working with and handling animals in a shelter or similar environment
- General knowledge of companion animal breeds and animal welfare
- Experience providing a high level of service to customers
- Experience working with database programs or proficiency with Microsoft Office Programs
- If driving a company vehicle, valid driver’s license with insurable driving record