Are you compassionate about animals and have a desire to speak for those who cannot? Do you like making a difference in lives for both animals and people? Do you work well in a fast-paced team environment? Dumb Friends League wants you!
Purpose of Position: Provide assistance and adoption counseling to shelter patrons.
- Deliver high-level customer service to the League’s patrons
- Meet with potential adopters to gather and give information to assist in the process of adopting an animal
- Review and complete adoption paperwork
- Perform data entry to update animal records
- Handle and move animals and facilitate the interaction between animals and patrons
- Provide food, water and care for animals, including at least 2 holiday Animal Care shifts per calendar year
- Clean and maintain adoption counsel rooms and areas
- Contribute to and lead initiatives to improve processes and procedures
- Act as a resource for volunteers by answering questions, providing training and coaching in the moment, and addressing concerns
- Perform euthanasia and related tasks
People are the key to fulfilling our mission. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with the general public and League business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support a positive team environment, directly address conflict, and appropriately express concerns.
Key competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes and actions. More in-depth definitions regarding these competencies are available from your manager, human resources, and can be found on the employee intranet.
Organizational Key Competencies
- Integrity and Ethics
- Adapting to Change and Ambiguity
- Customer and Community Focus
- Emotional Intelligence
- Analytical Thinking
- Conflict Management
Shift Details: Five, 8-hour shifts – weekends required
Full Time Benefits – Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of all offered benefits.
- Benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Flexible spending accounts
- League-paid Life and Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Holiday Pay
Compensation: Starting at $20.00 – $20.90 per hour +$1 per hour language differential (starting pay commensurate with market, experience, and equity)
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements
Handle and restrain animals of various sizes, weights, and temperaments. Subject to animal bites or scratches. Work performed in high noise level areas. Exposure to cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal dander, and feces. Physical efforts require constant bending, stooping, standing, climbing stairs, and walking. Frequent lifting of animals and objects with reasonable accommodation.
Qualifications and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Bilingual speaking English and Spanish
- High attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to effectively communicate and work within a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Valid drivers license with insurable driving record
- General knowledge of companion animal breeds and animal welfare
- Experience working with and handling animals in a shelter or similar environment
- Experience providing high level of customer service