Purpose of Position: Oversee strategy, planning and implementation of special events.
- Manages and develops an effective staff: providing effective communication, leadership, guidance and resources. Determines staff qualifications and competency: recruits, interviews, selects, hires, trains, orients, mentors, evaluates, coaches, counsels, disciplines, and rewards.
- Establishes and monitors staff safety and regulatory compliance Develop strategy for planning, implementation, and analysis for all League events.
- Oversee all event logistics including management of contractors, volunteers, sponsors, and vendors.
- Help create and monitor special events budget and annual plans.
- Develop and monitor effectiveness of League special events and recommend new strategies.
- Provide effective solicitation, cultivation and stewardship events.
- Work with League Marketing and Communications team to coordinate efforts and develop messaging related to special events.
- Effectively negotiate vendor and sponsor contracts.
- Work with League leadership to create new fundraising opportunities and identify and attract new[AK1] contributions.
- In partnership with the Development Team, provide tools, guidance and support to external fundraising groups that wish to raise money on behalf of League.
- Monitor and evaluate departmental/area processes and procedures to maximize efficient uses of resources.
- Participate in inter-departmental meetings and discussions to support and develop League initiatives.
People are the key to fulfilling our mission. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with the general public and League business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support a positive team environment, directly address conflict, and appropriately express concerns.
Competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, and actions. Additional definitions for competencies may be obtained from Human Resources.
- Integrity and Ethics
- Adapting to Change and Ambiguity
- Customer and Community Focus
- Emotional Intelligence
- Project and Process Management
- Delivering Results
- Developing Direct Reports
- Building and Leading Effective Teams
- Attention to Detail
- Managing Resources
- Technical Expertise
- Decision Making
- Time Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Financial Acumen
- Conflict Management
- Strategic Thinking
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Special Events team
- This position requires driving a company vehicle
- This position requires up to 10% travel in state
Available to work some evenings and weekends
Full Time Benefits – Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of all offered benefits.
- Benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Flexible spending accounts
- League-paid Life and Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Holiday Pay
- 401(k) with matching
- Sabbatical program
- And more!
Compensation: Starting at $55,000.00-$65,000.00 (starting pay commensurate with market, experience, and equity)
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements
Performs work primarily in an office setting. Potentially prolonged periods of sitting and repetitive motion. May work in an area with high noise level. Potentially subject to animal bites and scratches. Exposure to cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal dander, and feces. Occasional lifting with reasonable accommodation. Event days: continuous walking, stooping, lifting, and repetitive motion; work outside exposed to weather elements, both heat and cold.
- Budget management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, high level of organization, attention to detail and ability to be self-motivated
- Ability to plan and manage concurrent events
- Strategic planning, teamwork and excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Exhibit a keen attention to detail, including follow-through and follow-up
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multitask
- Good listening skills
- Knowledge of special event permitting process and requirements
Education: Associate’s degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or equivalent experience
Work Experience: Five years of experience in nonprofit special events management with experience organizing staff and volunteers including experience in vendor relationships and contract negotiation
Special Training, Certification or Licensure: Valid driver’s license with insurable driving record