The League’s Veterinary Hospital at CSU Spur Registered Veterinary Technician team members provide access to high quality veterinary urgent care using an incremental care approach for under-served populations in our community. This position plays a critical role in helping to prevent and alleviate suffering of animals in our community, maximize our impact, enhance the dignity of our clients, and work collaboratively with the veterinary community.
The (new) Dumb Friends League Veterinary Hospital at the CSU Spur campus, is just north of downtown Denver, and is part of the redevelopment of the National Western Center. On the Spur campus, the veterinary hospital will incorporate learning opportunities for the public, through our surgery and dental suites, along with an exam room, that is on view to the public.
Purpose of Position: Assist veterinarians in providing medical care and treatment for animals, and exceptional customer service to patrons. This position works directly with underserved community members and their pets to provide high quality, affordable veterinary care.
- Assist team and veterinarians in the performance of surgical procedures.
- Perform medical treatments and diagnostics at the direction of team and veterinarians.
- Provide first line, exceptional customer service to all patrons.
- Ensure a smooth and timely flow of office calls from check-in to discharge.
- Accurately review discharge patient instructions with clients and distribute educational materials as recommended by doctor.
- Thoroughly record conversations with clients including all recommendations, declined recommendations or treatments.
- Collect required laboratory samples and accurately process them for in-house or reference lab submission.
- Take and process all radiographs, including dental radiographs.
- Medicate, vaccinate, and treat animals as prescribed by veterinarian.
- Induce anesthesia and intubate, monitor anesthesia, prepare patient for surgery, and keep thorough surgery logs and anesthesia sheets.
- Independently work through anesthesia complications, specifically in critical anesthesia patients.
- Assist veterinarians in surgical and medical procedures, including dentistry.
- Utilize proper animal handling and restraint.
- Perform medical and surgical patron call-backs as directed by veterinarian.
- Fill client prescriptions and maintain drug logs as required.
- Use and maintain medical equipment.
- Perform accurate data entry into hospital software system to update client and animal records.
- Clean and maintain work areas.
- List needed inventory items on want list before the last one is taken, stock all areas of hospital as needed, monitor items for expiration dates.
- Maintain professional and courteous demeanor in challenging/stressful situations.
- Contribute to and lead initiatives to improve processes and procedures.
CSU Spur Additional Responsibilities
- Ability to effectively communicate with various audiences about veterinary work being done in real time, in an on view setting and with an emphasis on education.
- Work in partnership with CSU education facilitator to assure accuracy of content.
- Oversee technical aspects of equipment needed to fulfill educational partnership with CSU and alert management to issues as needed.
People are the key to fulfilling our mission. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with the general public and League business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support a positive team environment, directly address conflict, and appropriately express concerns.
Competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, and actions. Additional definitions for competencies may be obtained from Human Resources.
Organizational Key Competencies
- Integrity and Ethics
- Adapting to Change and Ambiguity
- Customer and Community Focus
- Emotional Intelligence
Position Key Competencies
- Analytical Thinking
- Conflict Management
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
This position may require travel to different work sites
Full Time Benefits – Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of all offered benefits.
- Benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Flexible spending accounts
- League-paid Life and Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Sick Time
- Holiday Pay
- and more!
Compensation: Starting at $22.50 – $23.65 per hour; (starting pay commensurate with market, experience, and equity)
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements
Handle and restrain animals of various sizes, weights, and temperaments. Subject to animal bites or scratches. Work performed in high noise level areas. Exposure to cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal dander, and feces. Exposure to radiation in association with performing radiology procedures. Physical efforts require constant bending, stooping, standing, climbing stairs, and walking. Repetitive motion associated with medical and surgical care. Frequent lifting of animals and objects up to 40 pounds with reasonable accommodation.
We will begin reviewing applications as they are received and anticipate closing the application period on January 25, 2024.
- Working knowledge of current veterinary practices
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated success in customer service
- Ability to work in a team environment
- High attention to detail
- Strong desire to serve under-resourced communities with respect and compassion
- Education: Associate’s degree in veterinary technology or equivalent experience
- Work Experience: Completion of a veterinary technician internship or comparable experience
- Bilingual fluency speaking both English and Spanish
- Veterinary assistant certification