The Opportunity: Communications Specialist
The Humane Society of Boulder Valley (HSBV) is seeking a full-time Communications Specialist to lead marketing projects and initiatives designed to advance community awareness and save animal lives. The specialist will work in partnership with the Marketing and Community Relations Manager to support HSBV’s strategic initiatives by planning, developing, and maintaining strategic marketing tactics, including but not limited to content for the organization’s website and social media platforms. The specialist also helps create multi-media content to enhance donor engagement and to identify compelling stories that highlight HSBV’s services and life-saving work. The specialist also collaborates with the Philanthropy department to support marketing and communications for special events. This is a new position for the organization and, to maintain alignment with the organization’s title conventions, the specialist’s job title will be Communications Coordinator. The specialist will report directly to the Marketing and Community Relations Manager and will work closely with the Philanthropy team and HSBV leadership.
You are an excellent candidate for this role if you are a storyteller, with a writing style that sparks others to want to make a difference for the pets and people in our community, and beyond. Your ability to listen patiently builds trust with your information sources and your colleagues. At the same time, your ability to problem-solve, think creatively, and organize your workflow have made you a trusted, and valued professional.
We encourage you to apply if you have experience that is transferable, even if it is not a perfect match. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups including but not limited to women, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans.
Summary of Responsibilities
Website Content and Social Media Leadership
- Advises on social content and website content strategies in alignment with HSBV’s overall strategic plan.
- Develops, maintains, and evaluates webpage content to effectively communicate animal welfare messages.
- Writes, designs, and posts social media content in collaboration with the Marketing and Community Relations Manager for channels such as Facebook, Instagram, X, TikTok,
Tracks website and social media analytics and provides reports as needed.
- Proactively assists leadership to help determine website content design respective to their communication needs.
- Serves as a resource for staff and partners on web design and SEO (Search Engine Optimization) best practices and standards; ensures compliance with those standards.
- Facilitates the addition of online tools in coordination with IT (Information Technology) and other vendors.
- Anticipates communication needs and serves as a resource for staff and partners to provide current and timely updates to web content and appropriate social media platforms.
Storytelling and Fundraising Campaigns
- Identifies documents and ongoing animal stories throughout the various departments and programs.
- Leads efforts to capture compelling photos, videos, and writes powerful content to be shared through via a variety of communication channels.
- Ensures marcomm strategies and tactics drive donor engagement, promote giving, and enhance fundraising efforts.
This summary is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required to fulfill this role. A pre-employment background check and drug screen are required for all employment candidates. A pre-employment background check and drug screen are required for all employment candidates.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree preferred in related fields such as communication, public relations, or marketing. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered. Experience with the veterinary or animal welfare industries is a plus. Minimum two (2) years of experience writing and managing social media and website content. Thorough understanding of social media, website metrics and algorithms. Demonstrated experience writing clear, concise, and compelling messages for a variety of audiences.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Practiced search engine optimization (SEO) and HTML skills. Working knowledge of mass communication strategies and best practices. Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; experience using AP style preferred. Strong organizational or project management skills and ability to prioritize workload with competing deadlines. Detail oriented with attention to accuracy. Familiar with graphic file types and tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator software, software and Canva, with a desire to learn additional applications and technology as needed. Preferred experience with the following or similar platforms: Mailchimp, WordPress, and social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), TikTok and YouTube.
Work Environment and Schedule
This position offers a hybrid work environment with a balance between working from home and onsite in the office, sitting at a desk, and using a telephone and computer regularly. Scheduling for working from home is at the manager’s discretion and depends on the type of work. The position is scheduled primarily during regular business hours, and, at times, work demands may require hours to be worked on weekends, and evenings to support fundraising functions, events, meetings, media relations events, and training.
When working onsite, there is regular exposure to animals, potentially subject to animal bites and scratches, zoonotic disease, and cleaning agents. The performance of duties includes frequent walking, standing, bending, kneeling, squatting, and stooping. On occasion, the lifting of up to 40 lbs. with assistance may be required. This role may need to periodically drive on behalf of HSBV.
What We Offer
The anticipated pay range for this position is $20.00 to $25.00 per hour. This pay range is the Humane Society of Boulder Valley’s best estimate for this role and actual compensation will be based on factors including but not limited to the depth and extent of relevant experience, additional training/certifications for preferred skills, and education. Included in the compensation package:
- Paid time off
- Paid sick leave
- Health insurance
- Dental and vision plans
- Employer paid life and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible spending accounts for health care and dependent care expenses
- Retirement plan options with employer match
- Employer paid employee assistance program (EAP)
- Paid Professional Development (after meeting minimum service requirements)
- Discounts on veterinary care, adoptions, animal training services, pet food, and pet supplies
- Complimentary pet boarding
About the Humane Society of Boulder Valley
The Humane Society of Boulder Valley is a community-supported, open-door facility that provides shelter, medical care, and behavioral rehabilitation to almost 7,000 animals annually. Its programs are inspired by its mission to protect and enhance the lives of companion animals by promoting healthy relationships between pets and people. Since its inception in 1902, the Humane Society of Boulder Valley has become one of the most recognized nonprofit organizations in the community and a national leader in animal welfare.
The Humane Society of Boulder Valley seeks to employ motivated, innovative, and talented individuals who bring passion, expertise, and a positive attitude to the workplace. Our employees embody our internal values: Kindness, Trust, Optimism, Humility, Collaboration, Ingenuity.
The Humane Society of Boulder Valley offers equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to an individual’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, ancestry, military status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.