Job Title: Director of Operations
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Salary: $62,000-$68,458 depending on qualifications. Full benefit package.
Job Relationship: Works directly with the Executive Director to set overall organizational
policies and priorities. Considers and analyzes the implications of
proposed actions and decisions by individual areas on the whole of the
organization (financial, operating, and administrative aspects).
Position Summary: Provides leadership and direction for the efficient and smooth
management of shelter operations, including primary responsibility for the
volunteer and transport program. Directs the proper utilization of
inventory and cash handling procedures. Manages organization of animal
inventory and makes policy decisions regarding animal placement.
Ensures quality animal care, shelter cleanliness, compliance with PACFA
regulations, with a strong focus on excellent customer service. Ensures
quality programming that is in accordance with Routt County Humane
Society’s mission, goals, management, and resources. Responsible for
managing budgets, supervising staff, and writing policies and procedures.
Essential Job Functions:
Responsible for the implementation, management, supervision, and evaluation of all activities of the organization.
• Develops, implements, and monitors programs to maintain and improve the standards of humane animal care and customer service to the animals and the community.
• Ensures quality of programs and services are in accordance to organization’s procedure and philosophy.
• Develops and implements program enhancements to ensure the continued growth and progress in relation to annual and future goals.
• Develops annual goals that include timetables, procedures, and accountabilities.
• Directs and supervises shelter staff in the performance of their responsibilities. This includes but is not limited to intake, animal care, adoptions, animal transportation, behavior, foster care, and newly initiated programs.
• Develops and maintains the volunteer and transport program, to include communications, retention, recognition, recruitment, and placement, as well as collaboration and communication with partner shelters and rescue groups.
• Directs and monitors all aspects of the constant humane treatment and handling of sheltered animals, including flow and usage of space. Ensures accurate recordkeeping and maintains quality control.
• Responsible for compilation of annual shelter statistics as required by PACFA and Animal Shelter Counts.
• Works with the veterinary team to ensure that medical needs are identified, animals are receiving timely medical and surgical care and that treatments are being performed in accordance with RCHS’ policies.
• Maintains inventory and is responsible for monitoring of all shelter supplies.
• Develops and maintains RCHS’ emergency and disaster plans.
• Directs the overall customer service initiatives, including regular review and follow-up of specific customer/stakeholder problems and requests. Serves as a liaison to promote organization goals with public, partners and government officials.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Individual must possess a minimum of 3-5 years animal welfare experience and/or senior management experience.
• Proven success with strategic planning and project management.
• Able to lead and motivate groups and individuals. Able to think creatively and strategically to successfully mediate and negotiate with individuals and groups internally and externally. Able to effectively manage staff, multiple deadlines, and tight time constraints.
• Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Minimum high school diploma required.
• Must have a STATE driver’s license in good standing.
• Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
• Knowledge of effective management techniques and ability to utilize them to promote full performance and high morale.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a variety of people.
• Ability to identify and understand problems and determine appropriate measures to solve them.
• Efficient Microsoft Office user able to maintain and use a variety of reports to prepare statistical and other reports. Use and knowledge of Pet Point a plus.
• Experience in animal behavior, health, handling, & care in a shelter environment strongly preferred.
• Excellent communication and leadership skills. Ability to express ideas clearly, both orally and in writing. Exercises good judgment when dealing with the public, staff, and volunteers.
• Detail oriented. Able to prioritize and perform duties efficiently and effectively with appropriate independence.
• Committed to maintaining the integrity of RCHS client service programs, high standard of animal care, compliance with PACFA regulations, and promoting our mission.
• Ability to perform and train staff in euthanasia.
• 40 Hour work week
• Must be available to work weekends and occasional evenings.
• Attending offsite continued education seminars or varying opportunities is required.
Work is performed constantly in an animal shelter that operates seven days per week with exposure to animals, including some with questionable health and temperament concerns, high noise levels, zoonotic diseases, and cleaning agents. The person in this position needs to regularly move about the shelter to provide are to shelter and clients’ animals. Regularly operates a computer and other office equipment (i.e., calculator, copier, and printer). Occasionally positions self to handle animals of all sizes in a variety of areas and positions (low cages, high cages, on tables, on the floor, in vehicles, etc.). Constantly communicate with clients, staff members and volunteers who have inquiries and must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations. Occasionally moves animals weighing up to 50 pounds (i.e., through the shelter on leash or using other safe restraint and animal handling equipment, into and out of cages in the shelter, onto and off of exam tables and in the animal shelter truck.)
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship. Routt County Humane Society is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.