Position: Veterinary Technician (Part-time, 20 hours per week)
Compensation: $18-$20 per hour
Assists veterinarians in providing medical care and treatment for animals, and exceptional customer service to patrons. This position works directly with both shelter animals and community members and their pets to provide high quality, affordable veterinary care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Collect samples for testing and perform laboratory tests.
· Take and develop x-rays.
· Medicate, vaccinate, and treat animals as prescribed by veterinarian.
· Wrapping and sterilizing packs.
· Prepare a culture and all blood work to be sent to outside laboratories.
· Perform venipuncture.
· Perform all laboratory procedures including hematology, serology, blood chemistry, urinalysis, fecal analysis, and skin scrapings.
· Administer anesthesia and monitor animals under anesthesia.
· Ability to intubate, IVC placement, administer IV fluids, supply O2, apply temporary bandages and changes bandages, provide external heating or cooling of patient.
· Assist veterinarian in medical and surgical procedures.
· Assist with proper animal handling and restraint.
· Provide medical assistance and counseling to patrons.
· Fill client prescriptions and maintain drug logs as required.
· Use and maintain medical equipment.
· Perform physical examination of animals.
· Perform data entry to update animal records in Pet Point and veterinary software.
· Clean and maintain work areas.
· Contribute to and lead initiatives to improve processes and procedures.
· Other duties as assigned.